First up: Clara as R2-D2. For her costume I did a variation of the one seen here. Instead of a one piece costume, I did a front and back on the top and connected them at the shoulders and sides with ribbon. Then for the skirt, I made a circle skirt (reversible) and bound with bias tape. The accents are felt and fabric sewn on by machine. It was twirly and girly, but still R2-D2…so she loved it! I had all the fabric/notions except for the bias tape…so the costume came in at around 1 dollar! Yea!Next we have Ella, as Yoda. I made her the bear hat from the book Little things to Sew, drafted some Yoda style ears, and then sewed them into the seam towards the back of the hat. Before I sewed them in, I also sewed some pipe cleaners around the perimeter of the ear to give them shape and help them stick out. They are hard to see in the pictures (because they are all from the side), but they were definitely yodaesque. The hooded cape was made from the Melly Sews free Robe pattern, that I altered, lengthened and added a hood to. It will be useful for many costumes in the future I think… Ella’s costume cost nothing to make…as I used things I already had on hand.
Caroline was Princess Leia (of course). Her hair kind of cemented that role for her. Although I did cut it at the beginning of the school year, so I was unsure if I would be able to get it to stay. It worked great (tons of bobby pins can hold anything!). She wore a tunic that I had made last year, a 25 cent belt find and some tan pants and boots. Her costume cost 25 cents total:)
Carter was Han Solo…and he looked awesome (and apparently has the attitude to fit the costume in this photo!). It was a fairly easy costume to put together, but looked so cool!! I think Erick’s contribution (the belt and holster..even without a gun) made the costume. He used a 25 cent thrift store belt and some leather scraps I had (along with a needle and thread) to create it. I altered a shirt he already had (just cut a v in the shirt and added a simple facing), and then made a quick vest using another Oliver and s pattern..The Explorer Vest from the book Little Things to sew. I made the most simple version–thrifted black fleece with no lining, no closures and simple patch pockets. It was perfect though, and only cost about 50 cents and 15 minutes to make. HIs pants were school pants with red electrical tape down the side. The tape was the most expensive part…running us $3…but we only used a tiny bit, so I guess we have some if we ever need it in the future:) As seen in other posts, Will was C3PO and Luke was Luke Skywalker. Here’s a picture of Luke on the big night. I made him a little pilot cap (Sweet Pea Pilot cap free pattern)in case it was cold. Not too cold, but nice to have to keep him warm and cozy!Erick was Darth Vader and I was Padme… but we really don’t count, so I won’t go into details about these costumes:) Here is a group photo…unfortunately we only have one that mostly everyone is looking up in–and Will happens to be playing with a sucker in it and is half-hidden by a not-so-happy looking Clara. Oh well:) We had fun…got lots of candy…and great weather(unlike the snow that is falling as I type this!!). Can’t ask for much more!